Friday, February 1, 2013

Split Pea Soup

Jay HATES to eat/drink hot liquids but he LOVES Split Pea Soup...BLEH!!  I am not a pea person but he swears they dont taste like "regular" peas in soup.  Hmmmmm, I dont know....  I saved the Ham Bone from Christmas Dinner in the freezer thinking I would make a soup with it, so when it cold I knew just what would rock his world!  Ive never tried it and certainly never made it but how hard could it be?  Turns out it was EASY PEASY.....and I tried it......and...wait for it.....I AM A HUUUGE FAN!!! Who knew???
Adapted from here.
 
1 whole onion
1 full size carrots
8 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
1 ham bone or smoked ham chunks
3 tbsp Complete Seasoning (Garlic, Oregano, etc.)
2 bags of rinsed peas
 
Saute onions, celery and carrots til soft.  Add chicken/veggie broth, ham bone (with chunks of ham still on, they will fall), 3 tbsp of Complete All seasoning, & 2 bags of rinsed peas.

Simmer for a few hours until the peas break down and remove bone after ham falls off....(4-5 hours)



Enjoy!
Dani-

No comments:

Post a Comment